2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 tablespoon of butter
3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
1 12-ounce of India Pale Ale room temperature
1 tablespoon of dark molasses
1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1 1/2 cups of shredded Gruyere cheese
1 1/2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and olive oil.
- Whisk in flour and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly to make a roux. Roux should be a dark, golden caramel color.
- Slowly add beer and bring to a gentle boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally until mixture thickens.
- Add Worcestershire, molasses and cayenne, stirring thoroughly.
- Add cheese 1 cup at a time, thoroughly melting cheese after each addition.
- Whisk fondue until it is smooth and pour into a Symmetry 3.25 Qt. Fondue Pot to serve.
- Serve with hearty bread, sweet apples, asparagus and grilled sausages for dipping.