2 tablespoons of olive oil
1/4 pound of slab bacon without the rind, cut into 1/2-inch dice
6 garlic cloves cut in half
1 onion finely chopped
1 small of carrot finely chopped
1 rib of celery finely chopped
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
2 cups of red wine
2 cups of chicken broth
2 tablespoons of softened butter mixed with 2 tablespoons of flour
Salt to taste
6 fish fillets skinless and boneless ,(6-8 ounces each, about 1 1/2-inches thick), salmon, Chilean sea bass or halibut
3/4 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon of paprika
4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon of butter
- For the red wine sauce, In a saucepan, add the olive oil and diced bacon. Cook over medium-low heat stirring well until the bacon is well-browned, 3-4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a dish lined with a paper towel. Save for later.
- In the same saucepan, add the garlic, onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf and red pepper flakes. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring well for 4-5 minutes. Increase the heat to high and add the red wine, bring to a boil and reduce by 1/2, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth; bring to a boil and cook, stirring well for 5 more minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 30 minutes.
- Strain the sauce into a bowl and discard all the ingredients. Place the strained sauce back into the saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon of the butter-flour mixture and stir well with a whisk, wait 2 minutes and repeat.
- Stop this process when the sauce is finally thickened to your liking. (Usually a tablespoon of the butter-flour mixture is more than enough, but just in case, you've got more on hand.) Salt to taste. Keep the sauce warm, until ready to serve.
- For the fish, mix all the dry ingredients together and sprinkle evenly on each side of the 6 fillets.
- Add the oil to a large nonstick sautè pan and cook over medium heat for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes until it starts rippling. Add the fillets, one at a time, reduce the heat and cook for about 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Turn on the other side and cook for 3 more minutes. Using a slotted spatula, transfer the fillet to a dish lined with a paper towel and cover with foil.
- Add the butter to a small sautè pan and cook over medium heat until melted. Add the browned bacon and gently reheat the bacon for a minute or two.
- Place a serving of the Red Wine Sauce on the bottom of each serving dish, place a fish fillet on top and decorate with a few pieces of browned bacon.