24-28 potato slider rolls
5 1/2-6 pound of bone-in pork shoulder roast (Boston Butt) excess fat trimmed to 1/4-inch thickness
1 large of hickory wood chunk soaked in water for at least 30 minutes
For the rub:
3 tablespoons of brown sugar
1 tablespoon of smoked paprika
2 teaspoons of ground allspice
1 teaspoon of ground thyme
1 tablespoon of kosher salt
For the sauce:
4 green onions chopped
2 garlic cloves
1-Inch piece peeled fresh ginger
1/2-1 scotch bonnet pepper seeded (WEAR RUBBER GLOVES WHEN HANDLING)
1 1/2 teaspoon of ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon of ground thyme
1/2 cup of packed dark or light brown sugar
1 (6-ounce) can of tomato paste
1/3 cup of cider vinegar
3 tablespoons of soy sauce
2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons of water
1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- For the rub, combine the sugar, paprika, allspice, thyme and salt in a small bowl. Evenly rub the mixture over the pork to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 45 minutes.
- Set up grill for medium-low indirect heat cooking (275°- 300°F). Place an aluminum pan, half filled with water, on the charcoal grate under where the pork will be.
- Place the wood chunk on the lit charcoal. Set the pork, fat side up, on the grill grate over the aluminum pan and close the lid. Grill, adding enough charcoal to maintain temperature after each hour, until an instant read thermometer inserted into the center of the pork without touching the bone registers 160°F, about 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Wrap the pork in a large sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil and return to the grill over indirect heat. Close the lid and cook until the internal temperature reaches 195°F about 1-2 hours longer. Remove from the grill and let rest in foil for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the green onions, garlic, ginger, scotch bonnet pepper, allspice, thyme, sugar, tomato paste, vinegar, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, water, and salt in a blender; puree. Pour mixture into a medium nonstick saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium. Reduce heat to medium low and cook, stirring often, 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Unwrap the roast and if cool enough to handle, shred the meat, discarding any large pieces of fat. Transfer pork to a bowl and stir in the sauce until well mixed.
- Top slider rolls evenly with pork.