1 (.25-ounce) of packet dry active yeast
3/4 cup of warm milk 100°F-110°F
2 1/2 cups + 1 tablespoon of unbleached all-purpose flour
1/3 cup + 1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon of salt
2 large eggs room temperature
3 tablespoons of unsalted butter softened
Vegetable oil for frying
1 cup of seedless raspberry jam
- Combine the yeast and milk in a bowl and let stand until frothy, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the flour, 1/3 cup of the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a bowl.
- Whisk the eggs into the milk mixture until well combined. Add the milk mixture and butter to the flour mixture and stir until a rough dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and the butter is incorporated about 5-7 minutes. Place the dough in a oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1-1 1/2 hours.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface to a scant 1/4-inch thickness. With a 2 1/4-inch biscuit cutter, cut out 24 circles. Cover the dough circles loosely with plastic wrap and let rise 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour enough oil to come 4-inches up the sides of a Circulon Symmetry Chocolate 5.5 Qt. Casserole fitted with a deep fry thermometer. Heat the oil over medium-high until it reaches 370°F. Place the remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a bowl.
- Carefully lower 4 dough circles into the oil and cook until golden and puffed, 40 seconds per side. With a slotted spoon transfer the doughnuts to a baking sheet covered with paper towels; let drain 30 seconds. Toss the warm doughnuts in the bowl with the sugar to coat then transfer to a clean baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough circles.
- Fill a pastry bag fitted with small tip with the jam. Using a wooden skewer or the tip of a paring knife make a hole in the side of each doughnut. Fit the pastry tip into a hole, pipe about 2 teaspoons jam into doughnut. Repeat with the remaining doughnuts.