For the Barbecue Sauce:
1/4 cup of ketchup
2 tablespoons of cider vinegar
2 tablespoons of molasses
2 tablespoons of packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons of smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
salt to taste
For the Bowls:
2 limes divided
2 tablespoons of olive oil divided
3 cups of green cabbage thinly shredded
1/3 cup of red cabbage shredded
1/3 cup of carrots shredded
1/4 cup of red onion thinly sliced
salt to taste
pepper to taste
1/3 cup of sour cream
1 1/2 cups of white or brown rice
6 corn tortillas
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 16-ounce can of black or pinto beans
1 cup of corn kernels thawed, if frozen
1 cup of pepper Jack or Monterey Jack cheese
small springs of fresh cilantro for garnish
- Make the barbecue sauce: In a small Circulon saucepan over medium heat, combine the ketchup, vinegar, molasses, sugar, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cloves, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 5 minutes. Add salt to taste and set aside to cool.
- Make the bowls: Zest one of the limes. Squeeze the lime to yield 1 tablespoon of juice. In a large bowl, combine the lime zest, lime juice, and 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the green cabbage, red cabbage, carrot, and onion and toss to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste and set aside. Cut the remaining lime into wedges and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream and 1/4 cup of the barbecue sauce. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, cook the rice according to package directions. In a small saucepan, warm the beans in their liquid. Cover both saucepans to keep warm and set aside.
- Heat a Circulon Elementum Double Burner Griddle over two burners on medium heat. Add the tortillas and cook, turning occasionally, until warmed and softened, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Transfer to a plate, cover to keep warm, and set aside.
- Warm the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil on the griddle over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until almost done, about 5 minutes per side. Brush both sides with the remaining barbecue sauce and continue to cook until cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board, loosely cover with foil, and set aside.
- Arrange the rice in bowls. Use a slotted spoon to arrange the beans on top. Add the cabbage mixture, corn, and cheese. Slice the chicken and arrange it on the bowls. Drizzle with the sour cream mixture and garnish with the lime wedges and cilantro. Serve with the tortillas on the side.