3 pints of Brussels sprouts
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
8 garlic cloves
6 slices of bacon
1/3 cup of breadcrumbs
- Cut the sprouts in half, removing any unsightly outer leaves. Toss with the salt, pepper and sliced garlic.
- Cook the bacon in two large skillets. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel, and when cool, crumble into 1/4-inch pieces. Remove and reserve 2 tablespoon of the bacon drippings.
- Add the Brussels sprouts to the hot bacon drippings and cook, stirring occasionally, until the Brussels sprouts are lightly browned in spots, but still crisp and brightly colored, 8-10 minutes. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Crumble the bacon and toss with the Brussels sprouts. Prepare up to this point one day in advance and store the Brussels sprouts, covered, in the refrigerator. Refrigerate the reserved bacon drippings in a separate covered container.
- To serve, transfer the Brussels sprouts to a baking dish coated with cooking spray and bring to room temperature. In a separate bowl, bring the bacon drippings to room temperature. When the drippings become liquid, combine them with 1/3 cup breadcrumbs and sprinkle over the Brussels sprouts.
- Place in a 350-375°F oven until the breadcrumbs are browned and the Brussels sprouts hot and cooked to crisp-tender, 5-7 minutes.