2 teaspoons of packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon of ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
1/8 teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper
4 small of boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1/3 cup of sour cream or plain yogurt
1 teaspoon of habanero hot sauce or to taste
1 cup of white rice
1/4 cup of canned coconut milk
1 16-ounce can of black beans
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1/4 cup of rum or apple juice
1 mango sliced
1/2 cup of coconut flakes toasted
2 scallions thinly sliced
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon, salt, thyme, cloves, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Set aside 1/2 teaspoon of the mixture. Sprinkle the remaining mixture over both sides of the chicken and set aside at room temperature for an hour or in the refrigerator for as long as overnight.
- If necessary, return the chicken to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream and hot sauce. Add more hot sauce to taste and set aside.
- In a Circulon saucepan, cook the rice according to package directions, adding the reserved 1/2 teaspoon of spice mixture and substituting the coconut milk for 1/4 cup of the water. In a small saucepan, warm the beans in their liquid. Cover both saucepans to keep warm and set aside.
- In a Circulon 12" deep skillet over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the chicken and cook until browned and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board, cover to keep warm, and set aside.
- Return the skillet to high heat and add the rum or apple juice. Cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits in the skillet, until the liquid is reduced to a thin layer in the skillet, about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat.
- Arrange the rice in bowls. Use a slotted spoon to arrange the beans on top. Add the mango, coconut flakes, and scallions. Slice the chicken and arrange it on the bowls. Spoon the sauce in the skillet over the chicken. Drizzle the sour cream mixture over the entire bowl, garnish with the cilantro, and serve.