1 1/4 cups of whole wheat pastry flour
2 tablespoons of maple sugar or organic whole cane sugar
6 tablespoons of rolled oats toasted and cooled
2 1/2 teaspoons of aluminum-free baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/4 teaspoon of fine sea salt
1/4 cup of raisins or currants
1/4 cup of sesame seeds toasted
1 cup of organic soymilk
2 ripe medium bananas peeled and mashed
6 tablespoons of pure maple syrup dark amber or grade B
2 tablespoons of organic canola oil
4 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons of all-fruit jam
- Spread the oats on the bottom of an ungreased skillet and toast over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes, or until fragrant and lightly golden. Spoon the oats into a heatproof dish and cool. Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 375°F. Oil the top of a Circulon 12-Cup Nonstick Muffin Pan and line with muffin papers.
- Place a wire mesh strainer over a medium bowl. Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt to the strainer and sift into the bowl.
- Stir the oats, raisins and sesame seeds into the dry mixture.
- Combine the soymilk, mashed bananas, maple syrup, oil, vinegar, and vanilla in a separate medium bowl and mix well.
- Pour into the dry mixture and stir with a rubber spatula just until no traces of the dry ingredients remain. Allow the batter to rest about 30 seconds.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling each cup 3/4 full. Drop about 1/2 teaspoon of jam into the center of each muffin. Do not use more or the muffins won’t bake through.
- Bake 15 to 16 minutes or until the muffins are lightly browned, and firm and a tester inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean or just holding a few moist crumbs.