3/4 cup of white all-purpose flour
1/2 cup of whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of fine sea salt
1/4 teaspoon of aluminum-free baking powder
5 tablespoons of finely ground whole toasted almonds plus 2-3 tablespoons more for garnish
1 cup of freshly squeezed orange juice
1/3 cup of olive oil
finely grated zest of 2 oranges
1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon of pure almond extract
3 ounces of vegan orange-flavored chocolate bar melted
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat to 350° F. Oil a springform pan. Line bottom with parchment paper cut to fit. Do not oil the parchment.
- Place a wire mesh strainer over a medium bowl. Add the white flour, whole wheat pastry flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and baking powder and sift into the bowl. Stir 5 tablespoons of the ground almonds into the dry mixture.
- In a separate bowl, combine the orange juice, oil, zest, vinegar and vanilla and almond extracts and whisk until well combined. Pour into the dry mixture and whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Rotate the pan to level the batter and tap it lightly on the counter. Bake 45 to 48 minutes or until the cake is golden brown, the sides have started to pull away from the pan and a tester inserted in the center of the cake is clean is holds just a few moist crumbs. The cake will be well risen, but will compact as it cools.
- Place the cake pan on a cooling rack. Run a thin knife between the cake and pan. Cool 5 minutes and release the side ring. Invert the cake onto a cooling rack. Remove the bottom of the pan and the parchment paper. The bottom of the cake may be pale and look quite moist. Sprinkle with 2 to 3 tablespoons of the reserved ground almonds. Allow the cake to cool completely. Drizzle the cake with the melted chocolate. Refrigerate briefly to set the chocolate, but serve at room temperature.