2 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped
2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
2 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1 medium parsnip, cut into 1/2-inch slices
8 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 split chicken breast, about 1 pound
1 pound chicken thighs
8 sprigs parsley
3 sprigs thyme
2 bay leaves
4 ounces medium egg noodles
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a 5-quart casserole over medium. Add the onion, carrots, celery and parsnip; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 9 to 10 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and stir in the broth, chicken, parsley, thyme and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and transfer to cutting board; let cool 10 minutes. Skim any fat from the surface of the soup and discard.
- Stir in the egg noodles, cover and return to a simmer. Cook until the noodles are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove the chicken from bones and with two forks or your fingers shred it. Stir the chicken, salt and pepper into soup and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.