2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 medium of onions chopped
2 medium of carrots cut into 1/2-inch slices
2 celery ribs cut into 1/2-inch slices
1 medium of parsnip cut into 1/2-inch slices
8 cups of low sodium chicken broth
1 split of chicken breast about 1 pound
1 pound of chicken thighs
8 sprigs of parsley
3 sprigs of thyme
2 bay leaves
4 ounces of medium egg noodles
1 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a 5-quart saucepan over medium. Add the onion, carrots, celery and parsnip; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 9 to 10 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and stir in the broth, chicken, parsley, thyme and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and transfer to cutting board; let cool 10 minutes. Skim any fat from the surface of the soup and discard.
- Stir in the egg noodles, cover and return to a simmer. Cook until the noodles are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove the chicken from bones and with two forks or your fingers shred it. Stir the chicken, salt and pepper into soup and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.