8 ounces of elbow macaroni
1 onion chopped
1 cup of sharp cheddar cheese shredded
1 cup of Parmesan cheese grated
5 cups of butternut squash cubed
3.5 cups of chicken broth
3/4 cup of low fat milk
6 slices of center-cut bacon
1 teaspoon of dry mustard
1 pinch of nutmeg
salt to taste
pepper to taste
- In a Circulon stock pot, cook macaroni noodles according to package instructions. Set aside.
- In a Circulon deep skillet or sauté pan, cook 6 slices of bacon until crisp. Chop up and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the chopped onion and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until pieces are soft and lightly caramelized.
- Add butternut squash cubes to the onions, along with 2 cups chicken broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and continue to cook until squash is soft, and most of the liquid is reduced.
- Pour squash & onions from the sauté pan into a bowl and add the milk, the rest of the chicken broth, dry mustard, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt & pepper. Now use the immersion blender to purée until it’s completely smooth & creamy. (If you don’t have an immersion blender, a standard blender will work just fine.)
- Pour puréed sauce back into the sauté pan. Over low heat, add the all of the Parmesan cheese and ¾ of the sharp cheddar cheese a little bit at a time, stirring constantly. Add the Noodles, and stir well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with chopped bacon, remaining cheese, and a bit of chopped parsley if desired.