For the biscuits:
2 cups of white whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons of baking powder
1 tablespoon of granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of coarsely ground black pepper
6 tablespoons of unsalted butter chilled and cut into cubes
4 ounces of grated cheddar cheese
3/4 cup of cold buttermilk
For the filling:
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
4 medium red onions thinly sliced
2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
2 pounds of cherry tomatoes
4 ears of corn
1/4 cup of cilantro minced
3 tablespoons of white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon of chipotle chili powder
Salt and black pepper to taste
- To make the biscuits, in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and black pepper. Cut the butter into the flour mixture until the biggest pieces are the size of small peas. Toss in the grated cheddar cheese.
- Drizzle the cold buttermilk over the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Dump the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until it comes together. Pat the dough into a disk. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate while you make the filling – at least one hour.
- Heat oven to 375°F. To make the filling, heat the olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions to the skillet, along with a pinch of salt and black pepper. Cook the onions until brown and caramelized, stirring occasionally – about 20 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and add the balsamic
- In a large bowl, toss together the cherry tomatoes, corn kernels from the 4 ears of corn, cilantro, flour, caramelized onions, and chipotle chili powder. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Pour the filling into a 3.5 quart casserole pan. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove the biscuit dough from the refrigerator. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface until it is about ¾-inch in thickness. Use a 1 ½-inch biscuit cutter to cut out the biscuits. Top the tomato filling with 6 of the biscuits. Return the pan to the oven and bake for another 15-20 minutes, or until the biscuits are golden brown and cooked through and the filling is bubbling. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.