6 small of dried red chilies
4 walnut-size of shallots
5 cloves of garlic
2 candlenuts or 4 almonds
1 teaspoon of galangal powder
1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon of dried shrimp paste (blachan)
1/4 cup of water
4 stalks of lemongrass
3/4 pound of large raw shrimp
2 tablespoons of cooking oil
1/2 cup of unsweetened coconut milk
1 tablespoon of packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon of lime juice
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
8 wooden skewers
- Soak chilies in warm water to cover for 20 minutes; drain. Place in a blender with remaining spice paste ingredients and process until smooth.
- Cut off bottom 6 inches of lemongrass and save for another use. Cut the remaining woody stalks in half to make 8 skewers.
- Shell and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact.
- Place a Circulon wok over medium-low heat until hot. Add 2 tablespoons oil, swirling to coat sides. Add spice paste and cook. stirring, until fragrant, 6 to 8 minutes. Add coconut milk, brown sugar, lime juice, and soy sauce. Cook for 1 minute. Let mixture cool; divide in half..
- Place shrimp in half of the coconut milk mixture; cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove shrimp from marinade and drain briefly. Thread onto skewers and place on an oiled Circulon grill pan. Grill, turning and basting with cooking oil, until shrimp turn pink, 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Serve with remaining half of coconut milk mixture.