5 cups of all purpose flour
2 teaspoons of baking soda
4 tablespoons of cocoa powder
1 teaspoon of salt
2 cups of buttermilk
2 teaspoons of vanilla
3 cups of granulated sugar
2 cups of oil
4 large of eggs, whole
2 teaspoons of white vinegar
4 tablespoons of red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter or oil baking pan, line bottom of pan with parchment paper; butter paper and dust baking pan with flour, tapping out any excess. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, cocoa powder, and salt into a medium bowl, and set aside.
- Combine buttermilk and vanilla in another bowl, and set aside.
- In an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment mix granulated sugar and oil on medium speed until well blended.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time on low speed.
- Add the red food coloring on low speed.
- Add dry ingredients in three batches, alternating with the buttermilk mixture. Starting and ending with the dry ingredients. Be careful not to over mix the batter.
- Lastly, pour in white vinegar and mix just to incorporate. This will react with the baking soda making a lighter crumb during the baking process.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, and smooth top with a spatula. Bake at 325 degrees until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean and the cake springs back when pressed lightly in the center, about 30-40 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool before unmolding.
- To unmold, run a knife around the edge of the cake to loosen cake sides, invert cake to release from pan. Cool completely before decorating.