1/4 cup of minced lemon-grass (bottom 5 to 6 inches only)
1/2 cup of fresh lime juice
1/3 cup of Thai roasted chile paste
1/4 cup of fish sauce
1/4 cup of sugar
2 tsp of crushed dried red chilies
1 1/2 cups of water
1 cup of minced raw boneless chicken
2 tsp of vegetable oil
3/4 lbs of large raw shrimp shelled and deveined
1 cup of shredded sweetened coconut
2 cups of shredded cabbage
5 Chinese long beans, or 20 green beans cut into 1-inch lengths and blanched
1 cup of roasted peanuts or macadamia nuts coarsely chopped
1 cup of chopped cilantro leaves
1 cup of thinly sliced red onion
1 cup of mint leaves
1/4 cup of kaffir lime leaves minced
- To make dressing, in a bowl combine lemongrass, lime juice, chile paste, fish sauce, sugar, and chilies. Mix and set aside.
- In a 2-quart saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add chicken and cook, stirring once or twice, until chicken is no longer pink, about 2 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-heat until hot. Bush shrimp with 1 tsp oil. Grill shrimp until the flesh turns pink, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove and set aside.
- Spread coconut in a small skillet; toast over medium-heat, shaking pan frequently, until lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes.
- In a large salad bowl, combine cabbage and beans with coconut, peanuts, cilantro, onion, mint and lime leaves. Add chicken and dressing; toss well.
- Transfer to serving platter; top with grilled shrimp and serve.