For the Lemon Bar Crust:
6 ounces of unsalted butter
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
For the Lemon Bar Filling:
2 1/4 cups of granulated sugar
6 tablespoons of all purpose flour
6 whole of eggs
1 1/2 cups of strained fresh squeezed lemon juice
Lemon Bar Crust:
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
- In a medium bowl, mix together all ingredients including the melted butter. Mix to all ingredients are incorporated.
- Spray with pan spray or butter a 9” by 13” jelly roll pan and line with parchment paper leaving a 2 inch over hang around the whole pan.
- Press dough, with fingers, into the bottom of the pan and up the edges of the pan.
- Refrigerate until dough is hard, approximately 30 minutes.
- Make filling at this point and set aside at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake crust until fully browned, about 25-30 minutes. Note: Crust will almost look burnt.
Lemon Bar Filling:
- Juice lemons (about 7 lemons) and strain out pulp and seeds.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, and flour. Add eggs, whisk until combined and smooth.
- Slowly pour in the lemon juice and whisk until combined.
- Set aside at room temperate and allow the foam from whisking to rise to the surface while the crust is baking.
- 5 minutes before the crust is done baking, skim off the foam from the top of the filling. The more foam you can get off the more perfect glossy lemon bar top you will have.
- Once crust is fully baked, reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees. With pan still in oven, pull the oven rack out a bit and carefully and slowly pour the lemon bar filling over the crust.
- Push rack back in, close oven and back until filling is set, about 18-20 minutes.
- Let cool at room temperature before refrigerating.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Remove from pan by lifting out with the parchment paper overhang. Cut into 16 pieces. Platter and enjoy!