1 pound of lamb ground
2 large of carrots finely diced
2 stalks of celery finely diced
1 onion, yellow finely diced
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 1/2 cups of red wine, dry
14.5 ounces of whole tomatoes canned
4 sprigs of thyme fresh, leaves only
6 ounces of tomato paste
4 cups of water
1/2 cup of whole milk
pinch of red pepper flakes
1 pound of pasta cooked
parmesan cheese for topping
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add ground lamb and start to brown. After the mixture is about half browned, add in carrots, celery and onions. Cook until the vegetables just start to soften and the meat is fully browned.
- Add in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- To deglaze the pan, pour in red wine and scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Cook for about 5 minutes to cook down a little of the red wine.
- Add in tomatoes and break apart in the pan.
- Add in thyme, tomato paste and 2 cups water. Mix together until combined and cover the pot with a lid. Simmer on low heat until the mixture has cooked down and is thick. Add in remaining 2 cups water, repeat process. This in total should take around 2-3 hours.
- Add in milk and red pepper flakes and cook for 30 minutes until thick and delicious.
- Keep sauce warm while pasta cooks. Serve atop fresh pasta with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.