4 large jalapeños seeded and minced
1 small red onion minced
1 large red bell pepper minced
1/4 cup of butter
6 cups of chicken stock
3 large russet potatoes peeled and diced (about 3 cups diced)
1 (16-ounce) bag frozen corn kernels
2 cups of cooked chicken breast diced
5 strips of thick-cut bacon fried crisp, drained and crumbled
2 cups of extra sharp cheddar cheese grated
1 (8-ounce) block of cream cheese cut into one-inch cubes
1 cup of heavy cream
1/4 cup of fresh parsley minced
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional garnish Extra grated cheddar, parsley and crumbled bacon
- Sauté the peppers, onions and jalapeños in butter for about five minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and potatoes and cook until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Add the corn, bacon, cheddar, cream cheese, and parsley. Continue cooking over medium-low heat, stirring, until the cheese is melted.
- Add the cream and continue heating until the chowder is hot enough to serve. Patience is important. Keep the heat low and don't let your chowder boil – cream soups often curdle or separate if boiled. Use medium-low heat and let it gradually come up to serving temperature.
- Serve with your favorite crusty bread, crackers and or garnishes.