2 1/4 cups of all purpose flour
2 teaspoons of ground ginger
1 teaspoon of baking soda
3/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 cup of candied ginger, finely chopped
3/4 cup of unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup of granulated sugar
1/2 cup of blackstrap molasses
1/4 cup of granulated sugar for dipping cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together the flour, ground ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, clove, and salt. Set aside.
- In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter and granulated sugar. Cream on medium speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the egg and beat to incorporate. Scraping down bowl and beating again to insure all ingredients are incorporated and not lumpy.
- Add molasses and beat to incorporate.
- Add sifted ingredients and mix on low speed until incorporated.
- Lastly, add chopped ginger and mix to distribute evenly.
- Wrap and refrigerate the cookie dough for at least 1 hour before baking.
- Scoop and roll 1ounce (2 tablespoons) balls of cookie dough in granulated sugar. Place on parchment lined Circulon Chocolate Bakeware 11 x 17-Inch Cookie Sheet, leaving 2-inches between them.
- Bake at 350°F for 12-13 minutes; center should still be very soft. These cookies over bake very easily. Remove from oven and cool on the cookie sheet.