1 large of yellow onion
1 quart of buttermilk
1 gallon of canola or peanut oil
1 cup of cornmeal
2 cups of flour
salt and pepper
1 bag of tortilla chips
1 can of Hormel Chili (no beans)
1 brick of Philadelphia cream cheese
1 tablespoon of raspberry jelly
- Peel onion and thinly slice. Keep excess small pieces aside.
- In large bowl combine buttermilk and a little salt and pepper.
- Add onion and completely immerse for anywhere between 15 minutes up to 2 hours.
- Combine 2 cup flour and 1 cup cornmeal with a teaspoon of salt in shallow bowl.
- Heat at least 2 inches of oil in deep frying pan on high heat. Working in small batches, take onion rings, dip in flour mixture and put in hot oil. Fry until golden, flipping once if necessary.
- Remove and place on paper towels. Rings can be kept warm in 200°F oven.
For the Dip:
- In medium pan on medium heat, add chili and cream cheese, stirring until melted.
- Add 1/4 cup of chopped onion and a 1/4 cup of chopped tomato.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon of raspberry jelly. Serve hot with chips.