For the Onions:
4 medium-sized red onions
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1/4 teaspoon of salt
For the Filling:
3 ounces of cream cheese softened
1/4 cup of sour cream
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of herbs de Provence
1/2 teaspoon of garlic grated or minced
For the Topping:
1/2 cup of Panko bread crumbs
1 tablespoon of butter melted
2 slices of bacon cooked and crumbled
1 tablespoon of fresh parsley finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Peel the onions. Trim the root ends so they will set upright and cut about 1/2 inch from the tops. Drizzle olive oil over onions and rub it all over. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Bake for 50 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Gently remove the centers of the onions leaving a shell (I left 2 to 3 layers).
- Return a slice of the center to each to form a bottom.
- Coarsely chop onion centers.
- In a bowl combine cream cheese, sour cream, salt, herbs de Provence, garlic and chopped onions.
- Spoon filling into shells.
- In a small bowl combine Panko, butter, bacon and parsley.
- Spoon carefully over stuffed onions.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until filling is heated through and bread crumbs just start to brown. Serve immediately.