For the Berry Sauce:
3/4 cup of cold water
1/2 cup of red raspberries
2 1/2 cups of fresh or frozen berry mixture (a mixture of blueberries and raspberries will yield the best results)
2 tablespoons of cornstarch
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
For the French Toast:
1/2 loaf of French bread
4 ounces of cream cheese softened
6 tablespoons of coconut cream
1/4 teaspoon of coconut extract
1/4 cup of powdered sugar
1/3 cup of milk
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
additional of powdered sugar for garnish
- To make the berry sauce, combine the cold water, raspberries, cornstarch, and granulated sugar. Cook over medium heat stirring until the mixture thickens and turns clear. Stir in the additional 2 and ½ cups fresh or frozen berries and cook for an additional minute or two until the berries start to soften.
- Slice the French bread into six 1 inch slices. Then, using a sharp bread knife, make an additional slice down the middle of each piece, stopping ½ inch from the bottom. Set aside.
- To make the coconut filling, beat together the cream cheese, coconut cream, coconut extract, and powdered sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Spread 1-2 tablespoons of the coconut cheesecake mixture in the middle of each piece of bread.
- Beat the eggs with a whisk and then whisk in the milk, cinnamon, salt and vanilla. Pour the mixture into a pie pan or 9”round cake pan . Heat a greased Circulon® Innovatum™ 3Qt. Sauté Pan or large skillet over medium heat. Dip each piece of bread into the egg mixture for a few seconds, allowing each side to soak up a bit of the egg mixture. Place three pieces of toast in the pan and cook until lightly browned and the center cooked through about 3-4 minutes for each side. Repeat with the remaining three slices.
- To serve, place each piece of toast on a plate and top with a generous helping of berry sauce. Sprinkle with additional powdered sugar if desired.