1 3/4 pounds of ground buffalo
1/3 cup of diced macadamias or nuts of preference
1 shallot peeled and diced
1 tablespoon of capers
2 tablespoons each of chopped fresh parsley and basil
Freshly ground pepper to taste
For the harvest fruit relish:
1 tablespoon of oil
1 red onion diced
1/4 cup of macadamia pieces
3 plums, peaches or nectarine diced
2 tablespoons of fresh rosemary leaves
1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
1/4 cup of red wine
salt and pepper to taste
- To make the burgers, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Refrigerate 1 hour, if possible, to allow flavors to develop.
- To make the relish, heat oil in a saucepan and cook the onion and macadamias over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until onion is starting to soften.
- Add the fruit and cook 2-3 minutes longer, stirring occasionally. Add remaining ingredients and cook until liquid is absorbed and relish is thick and glossy. Keep warm or chill for use when needed.
- Preheat barbecue or grill pan and brush with oil. Cook the burgers over a medium to high heat for 6-7 minutes each side or until cooked as desired.
- Spread rolls with goat cheese, top with the lettuce and burger and spoon over the hot or cold relish.