1 round of pie dough for the pie shell
1 round of pie dough for the lattice top
6 cups of blackberries
1 cup of granulated sugar
1/3 cup of all purpose flour
2 teaspoons of lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest
1/8 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
pinch of ground nutmeg
pinch of salt
heavy cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 400° degrees with a baking sheet on the middle rack.
- In a small bowl, place ¼ cup of blackberries and mash with a fork.
- In a large bowl, toss the mashed blackberries, whole blackberries, sugar, flour, lemon juice, lemon zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and vanilla. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Toss in cold butter that has been cut into quarter-inch pieces.
- Roll out one pie round and fit into a 9-inch pie plate, leaving a half-inch excess to hang over the edge.
- Fill dough lined pie pan with prepared blackberry filling.
- Roll out second pie round and cut into approximately 10 strips that are one and one quarter-inches wide.
- Brush edge of bottom crust with cream and arrange the strips of dough in a lattice pattern on top of filling.
- Once lattice is complete, roll excess dough under to create an edge “lip” that you can crimp.
- Crimp the lip all the way around the pie. Brush crimped edge and lattice with cream and sprinkle heavily with granulated sugar.
- Place pie on the baking sheet in the oven and bake at 400° degrees for 25 minutes, then lower heat to 350° degrees and bake until the filling is bubbling, about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Let pie cool before slicing and serving.
- Serve with sweetened whipped cream.