1 large white onion, peeled and quartered
1 apple, peeled, cored, and quartered
6 cloves garlic, peeled
1½ teaspoons salt
¼ cup packed brown sugar
½ cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
5½ pounds (6 4- to 5-inch pieces) beef short ribs, trimmed of excess surface fat 1 large zucchini, cut in half-moons
4 carrots, peeled and cut on the bias
1 4-ounce package shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
¼ cup gochujang
2 tablespoons maple syrup
Boston or bibb lettuce (optional)
Cooked short grain rice (optional)
Ssamjang sauce (optional)
● In a blender combine onion, apple, garlic, and salt, and pulse to chop. Add sugar, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and toasted sesame oil and blend until thoroughly pureed.
● In a sturdy zip-top bag, combine trimmed short ribs and sauce, massage to ensure ribs are well coated. Marinate in the refrigerator overnight, if possible, and at least four hours.
● Preheat the oven to 325°F. Remove the ribs from the marinade, reserving marinade.
● Place ribs on rack inside roasting pan, bone side down. Wrap the top of the pan tightly with aluminum foil and transfer to the oven. Meanwhile, transfer the reserved marinade to a small saucepan and bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer. Cook
until liquid has reduced slightly and has an applesauce consistency, about 10 to 15 minutes.
● Roast ribs until meat is fall-off-the-bone tender, and registers an internal temperature of 190°F on an instant read thermometer in the thickest part of the rib. Check the meat after 2 hours.
● Remove the foil from the ribs, and lift the rack out of the pan, setting it on top of foil topper to catch any drips. Pour the drippings from the pan into a heat-safe measuring cup, and gently scrape out any beefy bits from the bottom of the roaster.
● Increase the oven temperature to 350°F. Place the carrots, zucchini, and mushrooms in stripes in the bottom of the pan. Spoon 2 tablespoons of fat from the reserved drippings and pour it back over the vegetables. Season them with salt. Place the rack with the ribs back into the pan, it’s ok if it sits on top of the vegetables. Brush ribs liberally with the reduced marinade, and return them to the oven until vegetables and meat are browned and cooked through, about 30 to 45 minutes.
● Meanwhile, make bibimbap sauce. Combine remaining reduced beef marinade with gochujang and maple syrup in a blender and blend until velvety.
● Remove short ribs and vegetables from the oven and transfer ribs from the rack to a serving platter and/or storage container. Dress vegetables with additional toasted sesame oil and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
● Remove the meat from the bones and slice it crosswise, perpendicular to the bones, and eat as ssambap lettuce wraps with rice and ssamjang sauce. Then, use finished bibimbap sauce, vegetables (to make bibimbap) and short ribs immediately to make one of the following recipes or store in the refrigerator.
● Chill measuring cup filled with drippings. Once beef fat solidifies, spoon it from the top and reserve for cooking or discard. Store drippings, from below the fat layer, along with the ribs. Use it to moisten them while reheating as needed.
Bibimbap Rice Bowls
Cook short grain rice according to package instructions. Slice bulgogi-style short ribs into bite-size pieces and warm under a broiler or in a skillet until sizzling. Warm cooked zucchini, carrot, and shiitake mushrooms in the same manner, if necessary. Place hot rice in the bottom of a bowl and top with little piles of vegetables, short rib, shelled edamame,
and kimchi. Fry an egg and place it on top. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and drizzle with bibimbap sauce. To eat, mix everything together.
Bulgogi Roasted Short Rib Baos
Prepare pre-cooked folded-style steamed bao buns according to package instructions. Slice bulgogi-style short rib meat into bite-size pieces and warm under a broiler or in a skillet until sizzling. Stir together a spoonful of mayonnaise and a spoonful of bibimbap
sauce. Fill each bun with spicy mayonnaise, short rib, thinly-sliced English cucumber and well-drained kimchi. Sprinkle with furikake.
Bulgogi Roasted Short Rib Tacos
Combine coleslaw mix, and equal parts bibimbap sauce and mayonnaise and toss together to make a slaw. Slice bulgogi-style short rib meat into bite-size pieces and warm under a broiler or in a skillet until sizzling. Warm corn or flour tortillas and top with short rib, slaw, sliced jalapeño, and cilantro. Dress with a squeeze of fresh lime juice.