3 firm pears
1 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup of apple juice
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1 tablespoon of butter
2 small of cinnamon sticks or 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 vanilla beans split lengthwise and scraped (or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract)
- Place all the ingredients except the pears into a skillet and heat on low while peeling and coring the pears.
- Carefully place the peeled and cored pear halves into the skillet core side down. Place lid on pan.
- Bring to a low boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer 15 minutes and flip the pears over.
- Simmer 5 additional minutes. Remove pears from skillet with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Increase the heat to medium; simmering to reduce the liquid in half. Remove from burner and cool.
- Serve each pear half over vanilla ice cream and drizzle with the reduced balsamic sauce.